This week, I joined forces with Josh Hillis to answer your questions about binge eating.
Josh is a nutrition coach at One By One Nutrition, and takes a habit and skills-based approach to coaching his clients. He says it’s all about practice, and I agree.
The timestamps and images below are there to guide you through the podcast.
So let’s get to it!
[Download MP3] [2:10] WHY FOCUSSING ON HABITS AND SKILLS CAN HELP YOU OVERCOME BINGE EATING AND EMOTIONAL EATING
- Skills are incrementally built to help you stop restricting and cope with your emotions in different ways
- You don’t need to give up coping with food, just create more choices for yourself. So when/if you do go to food, it’s an intentional choice.
- Binge eating: evenly-plated meals of protein, carbs, fats, veggies. Feeling full throughout the day (satiety skills). Eating slower and more mindfully.
- Emotional eating. Use the act matrix:
[8:05] The ACT Matrix:[10:55] — WHAT IF WE TAKE ACTIONS TOWARDS WHAT MATTERS TO US, EVEN WHEN WE FEEL BAD? YOU GET TO DEFINE YOUR VALUES AND CHOOSE WHAT TO LIVE BY. [13:10] — GEORGIE FEAR’S LEAN HABITS BOOK [13:50] — IF YOU’RE BINGE EATING, GET BACK IN TOUCH WITH YOUR HUNGER AND SATIETY, RATHER THAN TRYING TO USE ANOTHER “WEIGHT LOSS” STRATEGY:
- First, up your portion sizes until you have fewer urges to binge, you binge less often, and/or with less food each time:
- What does it look like to have a satisfying meal 3 times a day? (~4-6 hours between meals)
- What does it look like to be hungry ~30-60 minutes before a meal?
- Only then: what does it look like to eat just enough, to eat more mindfully, and assessing your hunger throughout your meal?
- Step 1: the binges need to be evened out. Only then can we think about working on weight loss.
- You don’t have to love yourself to change, but it does help to look at the facts, accept where you’re at, then take committed actions with things you value.
- You don’t need to feel like a parent every day to take care of your kids every day. You don’t need to feel amazing every day to choose to take actions that align with your values.
[23:30] YOUR THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS AREN’T PERMANENT, THEY DON’T DEFINE YOU. YOU ARE HUMAN AND THAT THERE IS ROOM TO HOUSE ALL OF THE THOUGHTS YOU’RE HAVING. [26:10] QUESTION FROM RICH: WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE “SNOWBALL EFFECT” [34:10] QUESTION FROM ANONYMOUS: WHAT TO ABOUT INSTANT CHOCOLATE CRAVINGS [36:30] QUESTION FROM KATHY: HOW TO STOP BINGEING AFTER GOING KETO [43:15] HOW EMOTIONAL EATERS CAN LOOK AT THEIR BEHAVIOUR AROUND FOOD WITH MORE LOGIC AND LESS EMOTION [49:55] HOW TO DEAL WITH LOSS OF MOTIVATION WHEN YOU’VE STARTED YOUR JOURNEY [52:30] ONE ACTION STEP YOU CAN TAKE RIGHT NOW TO MOVE AWAY FROM BINGE EATING AND TOWARDS HEALTH AND WELLBEING